Friday 22 March 2013

Strippy Rail Fence, wrecks and sunsets

Just look at this sky, photo taken by my son last week at sunset at Howard's Wharf, just around the harbour from Petone.



With such a dramatic scene, it would be easy to imagine all sorts of things - like ufos [not the quilty kind!] - or say, crop circles - and I have evidence that I have solved this puzzle - they are caused by lazy people like me who put out pot plant saucers full of water for the birds in this very hot weather - and leave them on the lawn........

There are several in that part of the garden!

You know when you are watching a film and the heroine has to do something, urgently, like get away from the baddie or catch the hero and she messes around, drops things, catches her foot etc. etc. and you are [if you are me and not known for patience] sitting there rolling your eyes and saying unflattering things about her - well, I found myself in such a situation recently.

 I was in my sewing room and noticed several large butterflies in the garden, the lovely bright orange kind.  This time I thought, I'll get a photo so I went for my iPhone - it has such a good camera - but I bought a new case for it recently.  The case is marvellous protection, sort of soft padding which means it sticks to my pocket and I almost tripped over the leg of the vintage ironing board - you get the picture?  well, I almost didn't - in fact this is the best I could do -


Well, the background is in focus!  That's a pineapple sage plant just coming into flower and set to rival the orange monsters,  I think that's a cabbage tree growing through the bush - another freebie from the birds.

In another part of the garden, is this beautiful area - remember when blue and yellow was the in colour scheme?  The salvias are so happy here, they have quite taken over.


I have finally used up all the thin strips that were on the coat hanger! Calls for a drum roll I think.  It started years ago with two log cabin variations, I have shown one and will look out the other to share, then recently I did the baby rail fence that I'm currently hand quilting; then the bright and white and now the chunky rail fence - which has given me considerable trouble.

I put the strips together, separating the vaguely light, medium then dark, a la jelly roll - by good luck I had to add only a small piece on the end before I cut the fifteen strips into blocks - then started playing with them on the design wall -


I felt they needed more delineation so added the dark red, and the white - hmmmmm


Not only did I decide the white was wrong so I changed to calico,  but I managed to make a right muck up of sewing on the strips - I got them wrong more often than right, so I packed away my unpick and went to bed!

Next day it went together so easily and I love the wonky stripe for the border.  It's the perfect size for a lap quilt so maybe I'll back it with polar fleece.

I'm putting together the Venetian Dream using fabric my younger son brought back from Italy for me and resisting the urge to have a go at a turning twenty - but I also have the large container of strips of various widths so could have fun with those......

I've made a decision about my laptop which is fairly old [ as laptops go] and can't be upgraded - solved the problem actually when I knocked over a cup of tea, hurrah it only went on the corner of the laptop and I dealt with that - but .......... then I saw the charger box thingy was sitting in a puddle of tea!  Not good for it, so with that dead I wasted hours trying to buy one, last resort I tried TradeMe and got pipped at the post in an auction so, no laptop.  I already have this desktop and an iPad and an iPhone - and I no longer travel around the country as I used to which is why I got the laptop in the first place.  I just hate the waste of it, can't even pass it onto a charity or person learning........

Here's another photo, courtesy of my son Phil, taken on the south coast, the wreck can be seen as a blob on Google Earth!  Great colour scheme here too.


And I couldn't resist this quote, proof positive that punctuation does matter!!

"A man is not what he thinks he is, but what he thinks, he is." Max R Hickerson

Thanks for stopping by, and for your comments,
June

No comments: