Friday 20 July 2012

A special quilt




Well no, this isn't the quilt - just me having fun with my new App - MarbleCam - this was a handbag on display in the Mall...I'm sure I can use these photos somehow; perhaps print them onto fabric, set on point........











The quilt I want to share has a fairly long history, it was the first thing I started doing soon after the death of my husband.  John died in 1997, we'd been married for nearly forty years ............ as one friend said to me, You are on auto pilot, aren't you? - well those of you who have been through a similar experience will know what I mean.

I was still meeting with Anna every few weeks, the rest of the group had moved away for various reasons  ........  Anna had a book open on a stand with a photo showing, I can't remember what the photo was of, but the colours are vivid still.

I had always wanted to do a square in a square [and have done more since] so she suggested doing one sort of freehand, maybe slashing them, putting them off centre - which was just how I felt.

So I gathered the fabrics and started cutting and sewing - then I don't know, it just sort of got put aside until I sold our house and moved to my bungalow - and even then it was a couple of years before I had access to my main fabric stash and found the pieces.

By this time I wasn't sure what my first intentions had been, so I listened to the blocks I had done, found other fabrics and finished it...... and felt pretty good to have it completed - Light at the End of the Tunnel seems an apt name -


and most appropriately, I asked sweetly and my son agreed to hold it up in our workshop.

Here is the back, being held upside down, but who cares?


And here is the label,


As I said, a fairly long history - fourteen years in the making!!!

And to finish, before I go off to have dinner with my family, here is a quote from Agatha Christie that I can agree with wholeheartedly!

"I have enjoyed greatly the second blooming that comes when you finish the life of the emotions and of personal relations; and suddenly find - at the age of fifty, say - that a whole new life has opened before you, filled with things you can think about, study, or read about....It is as if a fresh sap of ideas and thoughts was rising in you."


Thanks for stopping by,
June

7 comments:

Nancy J said...

June ,that is "Stunning" and in my favourite colours, I so like the offset squares, and what better place than a workshop that might have setsquares, rulers and all else. Lovely to have it finished and the name suits so well. Cheers, Jean

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Hi June
Super quilt.
Loving your label idea. I'm going to keep that one in my quilt label memory bank!
Cheers
Linda

Dont Wait to Create said...

Very cool June, love the colours. Tears in my eyes
Shirls

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous quilt with a message June. It's awesome. I love the quote. I will print that out. tc

Linda said...

Your quilt is amazing! So special.Perfect name. I love it when a quilt talks and lets you know where it wants to go. Great idea for the label. I must try that.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I am here via Nancy J's blog.

This quilt of your is so beautiful, the colors are wonderful and the patterns just make it something extra special. My heart goes out to you for your loss of your husband.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

Sandra said...

Lovely quilt June - as they say 'good things take time' XX