Wednesday 5 October 2011

Strings, scraps and Nova Scotia


How's this for an idyllic spring day?  Not like today; Windy, Wet Wellington just about describes it.

The photo was taken one day last week as a friend and I sat in the garden enjoying our Devonshire Tea at the Stonestead cafe next door to the Sawmillers Quiltery.  That was one happy flock of chickens - just look at the high stepping rooster, and all the doves in the background.  I shall have to return when the tree is greened up.




My granddaughters were here after school on Monday, I got Amy to hold up some of my quilts so I could share them with you.  And here is the very first Quilt As You Go that I ever did - the introduction is so that you are ready to excuse the less than perfect result!

It is made from strings of Indian cotton - my neighbours did piece work for a shop where they imported the fabric and then made circular skirts etc. the resulting edges, strings and selvedges were put into bags ready to be dumped - until I discovered them.

My friends and I joined the strips into long ropes that we wound into huge balls and then we knitted or crocheted bags and rugs - I still use the shopping bag which is marvellous for vegetables.

Anyway, the quilt -


It is very faded, it was once so vibrant I used it as a Christmas decoration by hanging it over the banister in the foyer of our house in Whitby - folded so you couldn't see the corkscrew of seams on the right!

I joined the squares in the more or less usual way with the seam on the back, then I had to flatten them by hand sewing the seams, and then I covered the seam with some delightful bright pink poly fabric - which again was hand stitched.....


Floyd was taking an interest in the proceedings - I think he was waiting for Amy's toes to reappear!

Now I want to share a holiday snap, from that momentous time I spent in Canada - though my initial contact wasn't good; I flew from England and I phoned from the airport to confirm my reservation but it was the last stop for the bus and by the time I got there they had let my room!  The manager wanted to put me in a motel miles away and got a taxi for me, I protested strongly so it was suggested I settle for a nearby guest house.  The taxi driver was such a nice person, he said he wouldn't be happy for his wife to stay there, so he drove me around and tried a couple of places and got me a bed for the night at "The Cambridge Suites"  a very new place that was not fully open.

The Houseman was also very nice, he did some shopping for me, bread, coffee & milk as it was pretty late by then - luckily I had eaten twice on the flight!

Next morning I rang Air Canada to reconfirm my onward flight and I mentioned the dishonoured reservation, and asked if they had places that were kept for crew - my call was passed to the Supervisor, Bill Shakespeare - I kid you not, I couldn't forget that name, could I?  He was marvellous, I had an apology from the Manager of the first hotel - Bill thought I might not want to go there now, so had confirmed a room for me where I was.  Fabulous place with a microwave which was a great novelty in those days.

The next day my quilting contact picked me up and took me on a tour, we ended up at the Mayflower quilters meeting that evening.  This is the photo taken sometime that day.


My reason for sharing this particular one - I suppose I could have cropped me out of it - is to show the scenery.  Isn't it just lovely - and take note of the little churches -




here is something else I bought to put on my Christmas Cake and remind me of the trip.




Aren't they just such fun!  - Back to quilts -

Another scrap quilt I made was with flannels, mainly squares but also strips and it is extra cosy for this sort of weather -



And here is the back -


I quilted it by hand, using the 'big stitch' technique with embroidery thread.

I have promised myself a day stitching tomorrow, I spent all today at the office so my son will send a text if anything crops up.  Right now it's back to do more hand quilting, while I watch a dvd of "Medium".

I forgot to share a thought last time, I love this one, "Few know how to be idle and innocent."


Nice talking with you, thanks for stopping by and for your comments.
June

No comments: