Tuesday 4 June 2013

City and Star


Early morning in Wellington City as seen by my son; that's Petone in the distance - in the sun! and the fountain was in full glory.  [click to enlarge please to get the full glory]

I thought you might like to see how I altered the Hunter's Star pattern to include it in my class;  I remember having difficulty with the rhomboid shapes, so I took a look at the page of directions -


It looked complicated and I would need a template, or a special ruler - then I took a close look at the actual block and drew a grid on it.


So simple really, two squares and eight half square triangles - I could do that!


I chose calico and plaids, Needlecraft from Palmerston North used seven inch squares for their Fabric Friends club, so I had swags of them - they also had more plaids than the average shop.  My method of making the eight half square triangles was to draw in the diagonal lines, sew a quarter of an inch on either side, press the block then cut into four [the dark pencil lines] only then did I cut on the diagonal on the brown lines.  This way I found minimised the distortion of sewing on the diagonal.


Please excuse the hairy edges - these samples have been in and out of my folders so many times over the years, it's high time they were put out of their misery and actually made into something.....


Then came decision time - how to put the blocks together.  You will understand that what you see is only quarter of the pattern, and there are many ways to assemble it -



After much thought, mine went together like this


Some decent size pale places for quilting I think, maybe a thistle to go with the plaids?

I want to share another photo with you, taken by my son one early morning at Wainui beach when it was windy and cloudy -


What an amazing spotlight effect - love it!

Thanks for stopping by, and remember - "Don't be afraid to take a big step if one is indicated.  You can't cross a chasm in two small jumps." David Lloyd George

We'll talk again soon
June


2 comments:

Helen said...

Hello June

I am so enjoying your posts about the blocks you taught in your classes, and your sons's wonderful photography. Awesome!

Lisa said...

Loving that Hunter Star. How clever to break it down like that ;o)

Your son's pictures are stunning. You can't beat Wellington on a good day.