Friday 10 August 2012

What's new Pussy Cat?






That's the name of the quilt I want to share with you, but it could also apply to dear Basil who keeps an eye on me from one of his favourite positions on the back of the leather couch.








And just to prove that I am not totally divorced from the plethora of sport on the television these days, I will show a photograph taken several years ago when we lived in Roseneath.  You can imagine with this view, you have seen it several times, we took thousands of photographs - the whole scene changed from minute to minute.  You can see that from this photo


The snap was taken one club day when all the yachts moored in Evans Bay were hoping for some good sailing; they were becalmed for ages and then the southerly started, and off they went.

The quilt is made from five inch squares, what else?, you start with two made into half square triangles,


Trim to 4.5 inches, layer them right sides together, dark over light, and draw a line down the middle, sew a quarter of an inch either side of the line.  I've put pins in so you can see you get the mirror images

Oops, I had a slight accident and loped off one corner - do not do this!!

Sewn together the block looks like this -


and I put them together like this - but there are several variations you could do.  The block looks good for a border too.

the title came about because I used a couple of cat fabrics - original I'm not!


I went to the Wellington Guild meeting last night, had a most enjoyable time looking at the bags members had made for the big challenge - I can't share any photos yet, don't want to steal the thunder of the committee and their publicity.  The bags were judged by Nada Piatek, and I will just say that she has excellent taste - I picked her winner as my viewer's choice!

The fabric is cut for Molly's bag, so I shall start on that over the weekend.

I leave you with a sporting quote, "It is what you learn after you know it all that counts." by John Wooden who is a US basketball coach.

Thanks for stopping by
June

1 comment:

Nancy J said...

That is a test for the eyes, and a great combination of contrasting colours.Yes the games, late nights for those of us who want to see finals, and with great successes too !!! Cheers, Jean.