Sunday 29 September 2013

Spring, slide and stars


Doesn't this just say spring?  Beautiful daffodils - and an uncertain sky, photo taken by Phil a week or two ago on a trip into the Wairarapa.

And slide - well this I think is another example of a quilt in waiting,


while the view down the slide makes my stomach flip, even now!


These were taken, by Phil, of course at Island Bay in the playground - and how about the tunnel?


Almost a halloween design?

At a recent meeting of Pinestream Quilters there was an amazing display of work - this one took my eye as something far removed from quilts I make, I forgot to ask what the inspiration was.


And now, a blast from the past - another of the blocks/techniques from my Five inch squares class; the sew and flip method of making a star - I love this one -


I like the idea of using this block, dotted through the background of all dark blocks - the stars really pop.

The method is tried and true, two strips at right angles -

draw a line for the first line of stitching, then I always stitch another towards the corner - far enough away to give safe seam allowances, then cut between for the extra half square triangle.


This results in a very scrappy quilt but one that works providing there is sufficient contrast in value.

The Woven star is another block that works well with this technique -


I have been doing some actual stitching, my Mile-a-minute is a completed top - and I've chosen the backing too!


Three rows joined to the left and the backing, almost large enough on its own.


A fair amount of sewing went into this top! - and all because I wanted to use up the bits left over from when a friend cut out hexagons......


In the end I added another row so this is how it ended up -


and I still have a bag full of strings.......

I'll leave you with another sunset - taken at  Palliser Bay recently - you can't have too many sunsets! and the thought, "The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been", Madeline L'Engle


Thanks for stopping by,
June

1 comment:

Nancy J said...

Super sunset colours, and over the water a perfect shot. Strips in quilts, there are always some left over. maybe another quilt later on ??? Cheers from Jean.