Tuesday 6 March 2012

Blowing hot and cold!

What was that I said once about reading the labels?  I just love the delicate colour of the blooms, but they need full sun and that's not easy in my garden - what with my shrubs and the huge trees on my neighbours' sections - so my solution was this pot so I can easily move it around - and it's working.


The big storm at the weekend came just as they weather man predicted - I was contacted by a friend with a wind warning from Civil Defence, so after much thought I decided to cancel the quilting programme at the prison for that morning.  


It would have been rough driving there and the site is somewhat exposed, always colder there than in town.


Really I got off lightly, a few puddles around the section, the lawn and deck covered with leaves, a few small branches snapped off and a good excuse to have a lie in and spend the day sewing.


I showed earlier the stained glass windows in my bungalow and today I can share one that is in my son's house -




Did you ever make a stained glass quilt or wall hanging?  I seem to remember doing one, I wonder what happened to it; perhaps it's in the Orphan Block container.....


I have started hand sewing the binding on the Puss in the Corner quilt, I found it all ready cut in the container; it is the same fabric as the inner border and is looking good I think.  -


You can see where the border goes under the star, and having struggled lately to join the ends of the binding with a diagonal seam, this was joined straight - diagonal looked far too obvious!


Perhaps you also remember the jelly roll - my version - that I joined using strips cut from twenty blues on the same pile - well, it wasn't a huge success, so a friend and I unpicked it into strips -




Four strips wide, which gave me this - so I then subcut this lot into squares -



and put them onto the design wall as I cut them, then I fiddled a bit -


Sort of Rocky Road maybe?  How's this for happenstance - when I had cut all the squares I had short pieces left over and I sewed them together to make the sixteen patch block in the middle of the bottom row!  So really no waste at all!


I haven't been out to Pete's Emporium for quite a while, last time I went there I bought the plastic square rule with the sharpener on the edge.  I said I would let you know what I thought; well, it is a good size and I can hear the rasping which I suppose is the rough edge sharpening the blade; can't say I have noticed any real difference though - and, one downside to the coating is that I find it difficult to see dark fabrics -




Maybe I just need a good natural light over the cutting board.


The bathroom is progressing, and tomorrow I shall have a shower - at my son's house!!  I am not moaning, I do realise how lucky I am in so many ways.  As Ralph Emerson put it, "Don't waste yourself in rejection, nor bark against the bad, but chant the beauty of the good."


Great talking with you, thanks for visiting.
June

No comments: