Sunday 5 February 2012

Sevens and Stonestead


Look what I found at the bus stop in Petone when I called into Go-Bang for my coffee on Friday!!  I asked permission, which was granted, and I even asked what team they were supporting - Yeah, right.  I was told, ever so politely, that it's not actually about football........

They could have been the inspiration for my recently completed top and back - whoopee, all the bits and pieces are used up -


No way, those colours are all wrong - red, not orange!  Anyway, you get the idea.

Saturday was a day and a half; prison teaching in the morning went very well with two very able helpers, another newbie and different designs being tried - a good morning with chat and laughter.  Then lunch at Kaizen, which turned into a very long affair when another friend joined us, all good until I tried to use my phone!  What's this? no service until the account is paid!!  This necessitated a quick dash into the office........

Mea culpa! it's the office mobile account and when I paid online I put the account number in the reference box instead of the code box [or vise versa] anyway the money was sitting in their suspense account.  We got it sorted and the first message was from my son [also my boss] saying if I was doing nothing special, come to dinner and bring your other son - which I did - never one to turn down my daughter-in-law's cooking or their large screen and Sky sport!!

So I was very late home and too tired to write my blog.

Sunday was another full on day, starting rather later than planned because the weather was unsettled and had been solid rain all the day before so we weren't sure the exhibition was still on.

What a great setting under the trees for the quilts, Devonshire tea/coffee next door and the shop with its distinctive range of fabrics - what more could one want?

Here are some of the quilts, in no particular order-


No surprise that I love hexagons, this is hand pieced by Joan Bray.


In complete contrast, "Starburst Uprising" by Jan Nankivell - I am such a fan of straight line quilting.


As you can see this is the back, the quilt is "Time of the 9 Patch" by Sharon Siacci and I love to see old linens used for the label.

We were invited to vote for our favourite quilt and after much thought, I opted for No. 14, "Cushions, Curtains and cut up stuff" by Adrienne Dreaver-Hill -


Sitting at a table placed under the beautiful trees, were Elizabeth and Jan, fund raising for the Shut-in Stitchers.


That's Jan, obviously enjoying a joke.  They are selling these amazing threads, the proceeds of the sales go to the quilting programme, as you can see from the label. The majority of the supplies we need are donated by quilters from all over, but we do need money to buy batting, boards, rulers, threads, pins etc. etc. and as these two ladies are no longer able to come into the prison, this is their much appreciated way of helping still.  We keep a photographic record of the quilts made, so I took along my albums to share.  You can imagine how many photos there are!

While I was at dinner with the family, the subject of English grammar came up - I probably criticised something on the TV - so a lively discussion was enjoyed - yes I agree the language is constantly changing but that doesn't mean all changes are for the better.  I cannot be comfortable with a plural for "you", then a word meaning query was raised so I gave my opinion (ahem) and asked for the dictionary - and look what my son handed to me -


It's the 1980 Edition and I covet it!!  I was allowed to bring it home.....  It is wonderful!  There is a Manual of Information on modern English usage and, oh you should see this - The Secretaries' Guide - how to do everything from setting out letters, how to address MPs and clergy etc. etc.  - the section on personal appearance finishes with this gem - "A pretty and charming woman, neatly dressed, is an asset to any office".  "Mad Men"  indeed!  It so takes me back to my training at Portsmouth Commercial College and my years of working in the UK!!

Also, of course, it has a section of Popular Quotations, so I will share some of these with you now I have exhausted my school diary.

I have chosen the binding for my wonky hexagon quilt -



It is machine sewn on and trimmed and tomorrow when I meet with some quilty friends, I shall hand sew it on the back - then the big decision, what next??

My goodness, the first quote from Webster is "No one knows what it is that he can do till he tries" Publilus Syrus.

Nice talking with you and I do so hope I can get back before too long - so much to share!!

June

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Sounds like it was a great quilt show at Stonestead. Love the pic of the sevens costumes.